Freelance translation can be a rewarding career but also a demanding one. It’s important to balance hard work with down time, so in that vein we’ve gathered together a collection of lovely language riddles for you to puzzle over and enjoy.
Lovely language riddles
(Scroll down for the answers.)
1. How far can you walk in to a forest?
2. A criminal has to carry a sack of stones from one side of the prison to another. What can he put in the sack that will make it lighter?
3. What is the next letter in the following sequence? M A M J J A S O
4. What is one thing that all wise men, regardless of their religion or politics, agree is between heaven and earth?
5. What is the next letter in the following sequence? O T T F F S S
6. Which three words in the English language are all of the following? Four letters long; start with t, c or b; and have the same last three letters yet do not rhyme
7. What is a word made up of 4 letters, yet is also made up of 3. Although is written with 8 letters, and then with 4. Rarely consists of 6, and never is written with 5.
8. Take a 3 letter, 1 syllable word. Add a single letter to the end of the word and it becomes a 4 letter, 3 syllable word. What is the word?
9. Change a long pause to a short pause by doubling a letter. What are the two words?
10. A reasonable idea makes many of me. Your viewpoint is only worth two of me. With a con I will give you permission. When I am strong enough I stay in the air. What am I?
11. I am a message, I am a stand, and I am a station. What am I?
12. What starts and ends with ‘e,’ has only one letter in the middle, but still contains hundreds of words?
13. Find a word that the first 2 letters are a male, the first 3 letters are a female, the first 4 letters are a great male, and the whole word is a great female.
14. The word contains three letters, but if one is taken away it has four left. What is the word?
15. Which word in the English language has the following 3 meanings? a. to empty b. to be even with c. to be full of
16. What word in the English language is always spelled incorrectly?
17. Which five letter word becomes shorter when two letters are added to it?
18. Can you think of the one word answer to this riddle? Rich people need it, poor people have it and if you eat it you’ll die.
19. Pronounced as one letter and written with three, two letters there are and two only in me. I'm double, I'm single, I'm black, blue and gray, I'm read from both ends and the same either way. What am I?
20. Take away the whole and some still remains. What is it?
21. Which word has the most letters in it?
22. Which word is pronounced wrong by all the smartest and wisest sages and scholars in the land?
23. What is the only word in the English language that ends in mt?
24. What do a racecar and a kayak have in common?
25. When is this sentence true? There are eleven letters in the alphabet.
26. What kind of clothes do lawyers wear?
27. Which five letter word has six left after you take two letters away?
1. One step. Then you're walking through the forest.
2. A hole
3. N for November
5. E for Eight
6. Tomb, comb, bomb
7. WHAT is made up of 4 letters
YET is made up of 3
ALTHOUGH is written with 8 letters
THEN with 4 letters
RARELY consists of 6 letters
NEVER is written with 5 letters
8. Ore, Oreo - Are, Area
9. Coma -> Comma
10. Sense, Cents, Con(sent), Scent
14. “Ivy” because you can take Y away to be left with IV which is four in Roman numerals
24. They are both spelled the same forward and backward
25. When “the alphabet” is in quotation marks (count the letters)
Did you like our lovely language riddles? Do you have any of your own to add? Please use the comments section to share your riddles with us.