Romanian is spoken as the official language of Romanian and the Republic of Moldova. It also has official status in the autonomous Mouth Athos region of Greece and in Serbia’s autonomous province of Vojvodina.
Speakers of Romanian can be found throughout the world, including both native speakers and those who speak it as a second language. Altogether, there are about 24 million native Romanian speakers and four million second language Romanian speakers spread across the globe.
Romanian translators have several interesting linguistic features to address as part of their work, including:
- Unlike other Romance languages, definite articles in Romanian are enclitic, meaning they attach to the end of the noun instead of the front.
- Romanian has only four conjugations for verbs, but these then split into ten further conjugation patterns.
- Verbs can have nine moods in total – five personal and four impersonal.
- The Romanian alphabet has 31 letters, of which seven are vowels, and is descended from the Latin alphabet.
- Romanian has evolved in relative isolation compared with other Romance languages, leading to some very individualised phonetic changes.
At Tomedes, we have numerous experienced and well-qualified Romanian translators. They cover a wide range of language pairings involving Romanian and a broad range of sectors, including business, marketing, legal, financial and personal translation.
Use the top menu to obtain a quote for translating your documents from English to Romanian, or use our chat service for a discussion of your Romanian translation needs. We always keep our translation rates competitive, so please ask us now for an instant quote.