The Department of English Studies and the Deparment of Translation and Interpreting at the University of Alicante are holding on March 1-3, 2017 the 8th Conference on Dubbing and Subtitling within a context where the theoretical and professional development of screen translation is expanding to fields such as accessibility, video-games or theatre, besides the customary areas of dubbing and subtitling for cinema and television. In addition to this, in the scope of language teaching and learning, the use of the ICT (Information and Communication Technology) has become widely relevant, and translation applied for dubbing or subtitling is nowadays a common tool for the development of language skills.
On the other hand, the need to integrate an intercultural knowledge in translation also affects the audiovisual context, which foregrounds different issues that configure the development of an intercultural awareness: gender, stereotyping, etc.
Summing up, the 8th Conference on Dubbing and Subtitling will deal with:
- Dubbing, subtitling, voice-over and other modes of audiovisual translation (video-games, etc.)
- Audiovisual translation for language learning and teaching.
- Accessibility (Audio-description, subtitling for the hard-of-hearing, respeaking, sign language).
- Humour and screen Translation
- Gender and screen Translation.
- Theatre translation as audiovisual translation.